A very important part of our foundation is based on serving God, through helping others in our community, and around the world. We pride ourselves on being a church rich with kindness and generosity of spirit. Members of our church volunteer in diverse areas. This section highlights some of the missions and programs we are involved with.
2020 Advent Season Outreach Opportunities
Advent Food Boxes for Longfellow Elementary School Families
As in years past, the Mission Committee is excited to invite you to participate in this year’s Advent food drive as we prepare winter break food boxes for 32 families at Longfellow Elementary who could use the extra support. On the insert included here, you’ll find a list of items that we need for each complete box. Donations can be dropped off at the church during the week - be sure to call ahead to make sure someone is there and please wear a mask! We’ll be accepting donations through Dec 11th. Throughout the season, Mission Committee members will be safely packing boxes, so we will not host a large event to do so as we have in the past – hopefully by next year it will be safe for us to resume this tradition!
Advent Food Boxes – what to donate
· Breakfast cereal
· Instant oatmeal packets
· Granola bars (high protein are best)
· Diced fruit (packed in water, not syrup)
· Peanut butter
· Pudding cups
· White rice
· Black or pinto beans (dry or canned)
· Pasta sauce
· Macaroni and cheese
· Canned veggies
· Cans of hearty soups, stews, chili, Chef Boyardee
· Crackers (Ritz, goldfish, pretzels, etc.)
A couple things to keep in mind:
· Choose food that kids will eat! While super healthy bran flakes are great, something like Honey Nut Cheerios would be a much happier choice for kiddos. Same with pasta, as much fun as chickpea pasta is - we prefer the basic stuff.
· It is helpful if you avoid large Costco sized packs which then have to be broken down for individual families (such as oatmeal packets).
· Please stick to the list! We would like to make our boxes as equal as possible. Thanks!
Camino de Vida Church Supporting Family Rent Funds
In past years, we’ve also partnered with Camino de Vida Church to give 60 boxes to families in need in their community. This year, the need for rent support for families is even greater than their need for food boxes, and so Mission Committee has decided to donate the money we normally would have spent on food boxes to create a fund to help families stay in their homes through this challenging time. If you’d like to contribute to this fund, you can write a check to First Presbyterian Church with a memo note that it is for the Camino Rent Support Fund.